The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Maj.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has declared that the December deadline given by President Muhammadu Buhari to flush out Book Haram was feasible.
Buratai, who made this known when he visited officers and soldiers of the 3 Division, Nigerian Army Jos, Plateau State on Sunday, said that the military had stepped up the fight against the terrorist group.
The COAS said that the tempo of the operation, the number of troops and the equipment had all increased.
He added that “our strategy and operational plans have continued to evolve with the daily challenges that we have”.
He, however, noted that the spate of bombings by the group in some cities, especially on soft targets, had increased in the last two weeks.
Buratai said that the army, in conjunction with other security agencies, was studying the pattern and would soon be able to quickly find a solution to the spate of bombings.
The Army chief commended the soldiers in the battle front for doing very well so far and urged Nigerians to support the fight by providing useful information to security agencies.
He added that his vision was to reposition the army and make it more professional and more responsive to its responsibilities.
According to Buratai, steps have been taken to ensure that medical facilities are improved upon, saying that the army will do better with healthy officers and men.