Let’s talk Insurance.
Essentially, insurance is designed to protect your interests from uncertain events. When you insure something, what you are really doing is paying money to somebody else so that that person bears the risk of loss of the item you have insured. It is our parachute to safety in times of trouble.
You would want to insure an item where loss or damage to the item will cause you to suffer financial loss or certain other kinds of loss. For example, if the house you own is damaged by fire, the value of the house is reduced. Whether you pay to have the house rebuilt or you choose to sell it at a reduced price, you have suffered a financial loss resulting from the fire.
What are the Benefits of insurance?
- Safety and Security: Insurance provides safety and security against loss that is a result of a particular event. In the case of life insurance, payment is made when death occurs or the term of insurance is expired.
- Insurance affords peace of mind: When you know that all that you have worked for is protected, and that no matter what happens to them, you will not suffer financial loss, then you are able to sleep better and to put your energy into other things.
- Insurance protects mortgaged property: When a person who has taken a mortgage to buy a home dies, the property can be taken over by the lender. However, with a mortgage protection policy, the outstanding mortgage loan can be paid off and the family of the deceased do not have to lose their home.
- Insurance removes dependency: A situation of loss, such as the death of a family bread winner or the loss of property can leave those who have been affected with no choice but to depend on family and friends or rely on them for survival. With insurance this does not have to be so – insurance assists and provides relief when it is needed.
- Insurance encourages saving and also provides a way to invest money profitably: Insurance policies are exempt from income tax, wealth tax, gift tax and estate duty.
Because of these benefits, we think of insurance as a parachute to safety in times of trouble. Be sure you have insure those things which you value.
This has been courtesy Zenith Bank as part of The Bankers Committee Financial Literacy Public Enlightenment Programme brought to you by The Bankers Committee, comprising all the commercial Banks in Nigeria and the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN.
Do you agree with post? Tell us about it here https://redmediaafrica.typeform.com/to/rg2ml0