An early morning inferno that razed a three bedroom flat in Lagos on Friday burnt to death two siblings.
The incident occurred inside the Navy Officers’ quarters, Camp site, Kirikiri, at about 3:30am, killing the siblings – brothers, aged six and nine.
The father of the victims, a Navy Captain, was said to be out of town with their mother when the incident occurred.
It was further learnt that they left their three children under the care of their house help, whose name was simply given as Patience.
Although the fire broke out when all the four occupants of the flat were fast asleep, The Nation reports that Patience was only able to rescue the couple’s first son, Ayomide, 13.
Unfortunately, the younger sons did not survive the fire disaster allegedly caused by an electrical surge.
The fire was said to have been put out at about 4:30am, by a combined team of Fire Service, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and policemen from the Kirikiri division.
Confirming the unfortunate incident, LASEMA’s General Manager, Micheal Akindele, said the remains of the deceased were taken to Navy hospital in the area, adding that the other two occupants of the flats were treated by LASAMBUS.
The LASEMA boss added that they were also taken to Navy hospital for further examination and treatment.
Akindele said: “Preliminary report revealed that the fire was caused by electrical spark from one of the rooms in the building, spreading to the whole apartment.
“Prompt intervention of the fire service stopped the fire from spreading to surrounding buildings.
“I want to appeal to Lagosians that proper checks be carried out on cables and electrical installations to avoid unnecessary loss of lives and properties”.