Some Generals are allegedly being detained, following an order by the presidency to have the military authorities take immediate steps to recover stolen funds allocated to them.
The Defence Headquarters has reportedly started recalling no fewer than 20 Generals said to have been involved in the purchase of arms and ammunition for the country.
Vanguard reports that the suspected top military officers were being detained at a military facility in Abuja, for their roles in fleecing the nation.
Sources hint that key military, naval and air force officers, who had retired within the last three months, were also being recalled to face an investigating panel probing the purchase of arms for the nation since 2009 with a view to ascertaining their roles in the missing defence funds.
According to one of the unnamed sources, the investigative panel which was raised by the Chief of Army Staff, is headed by a Brigadier General, whose name was not also disclosed for security reasons.
The source is quoted to have said: “I can tell you that the current leadership of the Defence institution in Nigeria has zero tolerance for corruption given the need to give Nigeria a new lease of life. All those suspected to have diverted any money meant for the armed forces are being recalled to explain their roles in arms purchase.
“As we speak, some Generals currently serving are under detention at a military facility in Abuja while some who had retired but held sensitive appointments relating to arms and logistics procurement have been recalled by an investigating panel.”
It was gathered that some of the detained top military officers might have connived with some national security officers to divert huge sums of money set aside for the procurement of vital equipment and platforms for the armed forces.
This the sources say they did simply by acknowledging receipt of such items when none had been supplied.
Meanwhile, on Thursday, November 26, A federal high court in Abuja dismissed an application by the State Security Services (SSS) to order the former National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki to appear before it.
It would be recalled that the ex-NSA is currently standing trial for a four-count charge of money laundering and illegal possession of firearms.
He was accused of embezzling $2 billion which was meant for the purchase of arms in 2007 to date