Hello everyone, hope you had a very fab Christmas Celebration and today is Boxing day and unlike the name, it isn’t a day to fight your neighbours or have a boxing competition. Although the origin of the holiday is not very clear but INFORMATION NIGERIA has brought you five interesting facts about this day…
1. It is believed by some historians that the holiday began in England during the Middle Ages. According to them, the holiday developed because servants were required to work on Christmas Day, but took the following day off. As servants prepared to leave to visit their families, their employers would present them with gift boxes as a sign of gratitude for their help working on Christmas day.
2. Another theory is that the boxes placed in churches where parishioners deposited coins for the poor were opened and the contents distributed on December 26.
3. The name of the holiday is believed to come from “Christmas Box,” the name for a Christmas gift.
4. In 1994, South Africa renamed Boxing Day as the Day of Goodwill in an effort to sever ties to the country’s colonial past.
5. Boxing Day is celebrated in many Commonwealth countries and former British colonies. Some European countries such as Germany, Poland, Scandinavia and the Netherlands call Dec. 26 “Second Christmas Day,”.
If you didn’t know, now you know!!!