Recently, a Federal Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja upheld the election of Senate Minority Leader, Sen. Godswill Akpabio as the duly elected senator representing state’s North-West District in the March 28 national polls. Akpabio has been on the news lately for a lot of reasons, spanning from his arrest by the EFCC to his election as Senator being canceled and later upheld. This makes Akpabio an interesting figure one should desire to know more about. Here are some 8 things that should be known about Akpabio…
1.He is 53-year-old and he is the Senate Minority leader
2. He was arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC for allegedly stealing N108.1billion of Akwa Ibom fund, an allegation Akpabio wrote off as false and baseless.
3. Akpabio became governor of Akwa Ibom State under the platform of PDP, against the wishes of the then out-going Governor Victor Attah.
4. PDP witnessed mass defection under Akpabio in Akwa Ibom state because of his determination to install Governor Udom Emmanuel as his successor against popular consensus.
5. Akpabio’s emergence as the PDP flag bearer for the election was floored by a lot of controversies as he was deemed to have hijacked the ticket, which should have gone to the Abak division, one of the two major components that make up the Akwa Ibom Northwest District, as earlier agreed by them.
6. Akpabio was said to have spent about N1bn on an elaborate Christmas carol in 2014, which was attended by dignitaries around the world including Rev. Jesse Jackson, at a time civil servants were being owed salary arrears.
7. Akpabio Completed the Ibom International Airport (Akwa Ibom airport), which he met at site-clearing level and completed the first phase of the airport with 3.6 km runway.
8. He constructed West Africa’s first digital library – the Ibom E-Library. A state-of-the-art facility with capacity for multifarious internet utilization and over 60 million eBooks.
If you didn’t know these things, well now you do… you can thank us later!!!