Founder of Daar Communication Plc, Raymond Dokpesi, has been in the news more often than usual recently over his involvement in money laundering. Mr. Dokpesi is facing a six-count charge in the alleged $2.1bn money laundering scam and was charged by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC. Based on this backdrop, INFORMATION NIGERIA think it the right time to bring to you 5 facts about the High Chief Dokpesi, you probably didn’t know….
1. He graduated from the University of Benin and later went on to obtain a Doctorate degree in Marine Engineering from the University of Gdansk, Poland.
2. High Chief, Dr. Raymond Dokpesi as he is often referred as, established the first private television network in Nigeria, Africa Independent Television, AIT.Do
3. Dokpesi not only established the first satellite TV in Nigerian but also pioneered the first privately owned radio station (Raypower FM) in Nigeria.
4. Although the business didn’t last but Dokpesi was the first Nigerian to own the first indigenous Shipping Line in Africa. It was established in the 1980s.
5. Dokpesi’s AIT was the first TV station in Nigeria to run 24-hour broadcasting.
If the court finds him guilty, then Dokpesi will be the first TV station owner to go to jail for money laundering.