Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), the lawyer to Chief Raymond Dokpesi, founder of African Independent Television, AIT, has denied knowledge of the alleged N2.1 billion paid to his client by the office of the former National Security Adviser, NSA, Sambo Dasuki.
He also denied media reports that Dokpesi was arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, over the alleged payment, saying the media mogul voluntarily turned himself in to the anti-graft agency after receiving a call from its chairman.
“I am not aware the chief collected any money”, Mr. Ozekhome said in apparent reference to Mr. Dokpesi.
“The chief called me earlier in the afternoon to say he received a call from the chairman of the EFCC wanting to see him and I sent one of my lawyers to accompany him. He was not arrested by any group of operatives”, he added.
The Senior Advocate of Nigeria said prior to Tuesday’s invitation of Mr. Dokpesi, there was no formal communication from the EFCC to him.
“What I know is that the EFCC wrote to Daar Holdings asking for a list of directors and whether it has done any business or contract with the office of the NSA in the past and how much was involved.
“We wrote them a reply to say Daar did not do any contract with the office of the NSA and we are ready to give them all the information they need”, he said.