Over 100 Kurdish Fighters Killed In Turkish Operation

Must Read

APC Withdraws From Akwa Ibom Rerun Elections

The All Progressives Congress, APC in Akwa Ibom State says it has withdrawn will from the re-run election holding...

Police Attempting To Cover Up Oko Oloyun’s Murder: Afenifere

  Afenifere, Yoruba socio-political organisation, has raised accusations that the police is attempting to cover the murder of Fatai Yusuf,...

If Nigeria Could Overcome Biafra War, It Would Overcome Boko Haram: Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari says if Nigeria could overcome civil war that lasted 30 months, the country is capable of...

FG Reportedly Stops Payment Of Salaries For Lecturers Not On IPPIS

According to reports, the federal government has ordered that salaries of academic staff of tertiary institutions in Nigeria be...

Nigeria’s Ranking By Transparency International Baseless: – EFCC

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has reacted to the latest ranking of Nigeria by the Transparency International...


The number of Kurdish fighters killed during a large-scale military offensive in Turkey’s restive southeast has jumped to 102, a security source said on Sunday as the operation entered its fifth day. At least two soldiers and five civilians have also been killed in the clashes, the source told the AFP news agency.

An earlier toll released on Saturday put the figure at 70 dead, with the army saying all were suspected members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK). Some 10,000 troops backed by tanks have been deployed to the southeast to try to rout PKK fighters from urban areas, according to local media.

The operation – which has targeted the towns of Cizre and Silopi in Sirnak province, as well as a neighbourhood in Diyarbakir, the largest city in the region – began on Wednesday, according to the army. Commenting on the ongoing operation, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said on Saturday the military would “flush out” all PKK fighters across their territory.

The Turkish government has imposed a 24-hour curfew in the southeastern towns. Turkish police fired tear gas and water cannon on Sunday to disperse hundreds of protesters on an Istanbul street calling for an end to curfews in the southeast.

- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -