A trigger-happy drunken policeman, Stephen James, guarding Paulson Hotel on Anibaba Street, Ketu-Ikosi, Lagos, had on Boxing day shot dead twin brothers and their friend identified as Jeje. The police officer, who is said to be a drug addict and notorious for shooting sporadically, killed the twins and their friend before he shot himself dead. Doing an analysis of this sad happening, INFORMATION NIGERIA has put together 5 things this boxing day tragedy shows about police recruitment in Nigeria…
1. It shows the decay in the training of the average Nigerian police officer.
2. This incident proves beyond reasonable doubt that institutions being used to train Nigerian police officers are nothing to write home about hence can not produce the best police officers.
3. It shows that the recruitment process of the Nigerian police is highly flawed by corruption, tribalism, nepotism and favouritism, hence the people recruited lack passion for the job but are only there to earn a living.
4. It shows no one bothers to periodically access the mental stability of men of the Nigerian police force.
5. It shows that the police reforms need to be urgently revisited.
What do you think???