Yemen’s president has asked the Saudi Arab-led coalition to begin a seven-day ceasefire beginning on December 15. President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi told the UN on Monday that the proposed truce is to coincide with the UN-sponsored peace talks aimed at ending months of fighting that has killed at least 5,700 people.
“I have notified the leadership of the coalition of our intention to cease fire for a period of seven days, starting December 15 until December 21,” Hadi said in a letter to Ban Ki-moon, the UN secretary-general.
“This will coincide with the starting of consultations and will automatically be renewed upon commitment by the Houthis.”
Hadi’s letter confirmed remarks made earlier on Monday by Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, the UN special envoy to Yemen, who said Hadi’s exiled government and the Iran-backed Shia Houthis were committed to the peace process laid down by the Security Council in April.
Source: Al Jazeera