Former President Goodluck Jonathan Wednesday said despite calls from certain quarters for him to speak up on the ongoing investigation into the alleged fraud that characterized procurement of arms and munitions by his administration for the fight against Boko Haram, he will not make any comments yet.
Dr. Jonathan spoke yesterday at a conference hosted by the Geneva Press Club in Switzerland.
The former National Security Adviser, NSA, Sambo Dasuki under the Jonathan administration, some officials in the Office of the NSA, chieftains of the ex-president’s party, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, among others, are currently standing trial for alleged involvement in the misappropriation and diversion of $2.1 billion arms fund.
Fielding questions from the audience, the former Nigerian leader said: “I would have loved to speak extensively on this issue [arms deal] because, even back home, when I read the papers a number of people say former President Jonathan must make comment [on the controversial $2.1bn arms deal]. But in our country, there are laws; when an issue is before a court of law, people who have one thing or the other to do with that are not expected to make comment, because it is considered as prejudice.
“As a former president if I make any comment it will affect the court processes, witnesses and so on. So I will not talk until most of these things are settled out but definitely I will speak on it.
“I wouldn’t want to comment specifically on the $2.1bn arms deal because it is not proper, but at the appropriate time I will speak my mind on it”.
Earlier in his speech, Jonathan said “The allure of power and the worries about what will happen after leaving power are tempting that it takes a man who loves his people and nation”.
On some of his achievements in office, Jonathan said he worked hard to encourage Nigerians and non-Nigerians to invest in the country.
He added that together with former Nigerian leaders, he would continue to support President Muhammadu Buhari in the fight against Boko Haram.