Andela is developing a corps of high-quality technology talent across the African continent that will drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and highest youth population in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development.
At Andela, we find the brightest young people in Africa, train them to be world-class developers, and connect them with employers around the world looking for top technical talent. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
We have a vision to train 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we want you to help make it happen
About the Director of People and Culture – Nigeria:
Andela is seeking a Director of People and Culture to build our organizational capacity and ensure we are creating an environment in which our staff can realize their full potential. To be successful in this role, the right candidate will bring extensive knowledge and experience in managing and building people systems for growing organizations. As a coach to a growing team of managers, a supporter to our staff, and as the designer of our human systems, you will play an instrumental role in building a truly world class organization.
In this job you will:
Serve as the head of all people systems and operations from our Lagos, Nigeria location. With a growing team of Fellows (software engineers), instructors, supervisors and support team staff, there is a need for someone to come in and build the kind of systems we need to ensure individual and group success.
You will also:
- Serve as a key member of the Andela team in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Develop systems, procedures and policies to manage the full employee lifecycle, e.g. staff recruitment (non-Fellows), on-boarding, performance management, compensation,and exiting.
- Build upon existing systems to manage employee benefits, healthcare, and other Human Resources functions. The objective is to maximise value delivered to fellows and non- fellows whilst maintaining statutory compliance.
- Oversee Andela non-Fellows recruitment process and work with team members to ensure a smooth process flow from identification of a vacancy to the filling of that vacancy.
- Manage on-boarding of new hires to ensure a seamless integration and optimise new hire productivity.
- Ensure that the day-to-day operations of people-related functions are carried out in a timely, efficient, and proactive manner. The objective is to deliver transactions in alignment with agreed HR service standards specifications.
- Manage the People Team including the People Associate and external suppliers and consultants.
- Work with individual supervisors to coach best practices related to driving individual performance.
- Serve as a thought leader and Andela brand champion across various internal and external channels.
Qualifications & Characteristics
As the ideal candidates for this role you:
- Comprehensive understanding of core human resources processes and systems (recruitment, absence management, organisation change, workforce planning and performance management) and best practice standards for each.
- Employment law knowledge and practical experience of its application (specific expertise in organisation change)
- Ability to create effective working partnerships with key stakeholders and to use these to create and implement people and organisation related business plans that support the achievement of business goals and objectives.
- Experience in a challenging, changing, complex business environments with a special focus on multiculturalism (and internationalism).
- Implementation of employee engagement strategies that have successfully delivered improved individual employee and organisational performance.
- A minimum of 10 years professional experience in a range of sectors.
- BS/BA degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Social Sciences or its recognized equivalent +7 years of relevant HR experience or MS/MA degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Social Sciences or its recognized equivalent, and 5 years relevant experience.
- Certified member of Chartered Institute of Personnel Management or related body is a bonus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Skill to build HR systems: benefits, payroll, accounting (not necessarily extensive knowledge, more knowing how to build the system)
- Ability to manage a team
- Skill to implement a performance management system for growing organization
- Skill to intervene with dissatisfied staff or mediate disagreements
- Skill (+experience) to build a recruiting program
- Ability to quickly build trust with staff, subcontractors, and recipients of assistance.
- Skill to interact with diplomacy, tact and follow up on requests in timely and efficient manner. Must exhibit high levels of professionalism, integrity and ethical values at all times.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality for sensitive HR issues, projects.
- Skill to build systems to keep records, report preparation, filing methods and records management techniques.
- Computer literacy at an intermediate level. Including ability to use HR and other business software. Experience in HRIS implementation is an advantage. .
- Knowledge of in-country employment regulations, e.g. Nigerian labor/employee relations statutes and capacity to apply them to Andela Nigeria. Ability to adapt applicable founding country labour laws (US) into local practices as required.
- Strong knowledge of
– salary structure
– benefits and compensation
– job evaluation systems.
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.