It is the era of docking and the latest to be docked is the former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Dr. Haliru Bello. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, today, arraigned Bello along with his son, Abba, on a four-count criminal charge bordering on alleged N300million fraud, before the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court. Interestingly the former PDP chieftain took his plea in a wheelchair. As a follow up on this INFORMATION NIGERIA has put together 7 interesting facts you should know about Dr Bello…
– He does not have the prefix ‘Dr’ for nothing as he (Dr. Haliru Mohammed Bello) was in trained veterinary medicine at the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in 1966
– Dr. Bello, a former Minister of Communications ( from June 2001 to May 2003), after he left office was indicted in a bribery scandal involving the German telecom company Siemens AG and was alleged to have collected €70,000 in two installments, a charge he denied.
– He was the first Comptroller General of the Customs and Excise department, then a service of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, under a new decentralized arrangement that began on 16 February 1988. He was appointed Comptroller General of the Nigerian Customs Service in 1988 by General Ibrahim Babangida.
– Dr. Bello was one of the founders of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Kebbi State, where he is from.
– Another scandal emerged in January 2010, over a N5 billion contract for supply of equipment to (M-tel), a subsidiary of NITEL and the EFCC subsequently launched an investigation into the matter.
– He became Minister of Defense under President Goodluck Jonathan between 2011 and 2012.
– Upon Anthony Anenih’s resignation as PDP Board of Trustees (BOT) Chairman, he was appointed as Acting Chairman.