Al-Shabab Attack: 30 Civilians Killed In South Somalia

Must Read

Lionel Messi Becomes First Footballer To Win Laureus Sportsman Of The Year

Barcelona captain, Lionel Messi has won the Laureus Sportsman of the Year award along with Lewis Hamilton. It was announced...

Supreme Court Adjourns Imo Governorship Case Till March 2

The supreme court has adjourned it's hearing on an application seeking a review of its judgment on the Imo...

Director Of Chinese Hospital Dies Of Coronavirus

A hospital director in the Chinese metropolis of Wuhan, the epicentre of a new coronavirus outbreak, died from the...

An Investment That Pays Upfront; An Expose On The New Investment Product From Horizon Estates

Get Up To N5.46M ROI After 12 Months and A BuyBack Guarantee on Purchase of Their 4 Bed Duplexes...

How Paradise Estates Is Building Value For The People Of Abuja

Having successfully delivered over 500 homes since their inception, Paradise Abuja has saddled themselves with the responsibility to create...

cc99d5887ef14b0384787a8ff4e89e7f_18

At least 30 people were killed in twin bomb attacks claimed by al-Shabab at a busy traffic junction and a nearby restaurant in southern Somalia. The attacks in Baidoa on Sunday were part of the armed group’s campaign of violence in its effort to topple Somalia’s UN-backed government. “The official number of the dead has reached 30 people – all of them civilians – and 61 others have been wounded, 15 of them seriously,” Abdirashid Abdullahi, governor of the Bay region, told the AFP news agency.

Baidoa lies about 245km northwest of the capital, Mogadishu. The death toll went up overnight after more people died at the hospital, and could rise further with several of the wounded in critical condition, Abdullahi said.  The attack follows a car bomb attack in Mogadishu near a park and hotel on Friday that killed 14 people, police said.

A police officer said a suicide car bomb blew up at the junction, while a second blast – possibly a bomb that had been planted or a suicide bomber – struck the restaurant. “We targeted government officials and forces,” Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab, al-Shabab’s military operation spokesman, told Reuters news agency. He said there was a police station near by.

Abdirahman Ahmed, a witness who was inside the hotel at the time, said gunfire erupted after the explosion.  “The blast was so huge and windows broken everywhere but the gunfire was outside. Everyone was safe inside, but terrified,” said Ahmed. Regional official Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden appealed to national and international support to care of the victims, saying the region did not have sufficient medical facilities.

Aljazeera.

- Advertisement -
Ad ==> TRUTH FINALLY OUT! Discover how a young Nigerian graduate now makes a consistent 40k per week doing a legitimate online business. You too can start yours now, click here!!!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -