Many Nigerian men make a trip to their barber at least once a week but most of them probably know nothing about how the art of barbing began, what barbers were truly about and where they got their name from. Just so you know these and more, INFORMATION NIGERIA brings you 10 old facts about barbing everyone should know…
– The word ‘barber’ comes from the Latin word ‘barba’, meaning beard.
– In the middle ages, barbers also treated wounds and performed surgery. Barbers performed surgeries, amputations, enemas, set breaks, removed kidney stones, treated wounds, drained boils, lanced cysts, cleaned ears, created ointments, and could give you a bath or crack your neck.
– In some ancient cultures, it was thought that demons liked to enter the body through the hair, so the barber could prevent evil spirits from inhabiting you. Later some barbers took part in trepanning, which is the process of drilling a hole in the head to let out the evil spirits that are causing mental illness or seizures.
– In ancient Rome, barbers dressed cuts with spiders’ webs soaked in vinegar.
– The barber was paid higher than the surgeon until surgeons were entered into British war ships during its many naval wars.
– A desairologist is licensed to work on the hair, make-up, nails, and hair coloring of dead people at funeral homes. These clients are able to be very still, but are not the best conversationalists.
If you didn’t know now you do!!!