A lot of Nigerians know what the federal Ministry of health says about smoking, and other reasons why they should quit but there are some interesting facts about it that a lot of people do not know. INFORMATION NIGERIA brings 7 of them to you in this piece…
1. Each day, more than 3,200 people under 18 smoke their first cigarette, and approximately 2,100 youth and young adults become daily smokers.
2. 9 out of 10 smokers start before the age of 18, and 98% start smoking by age 26.
3. It is mostly the harmful chemicals that cause illness and death, and not the nicotine. It is the nicotine, however, which creates an addiction or ‘craving’.
4. Smoking can cause the following: cancers, lung disease, heart and circulation diseases, stomach and duodenal ulcers, erectile dysfunction, infertility, osteoporosis, cataracts and eye disorders, mouth and dental infections and complications in pregnancy and labour.
5. Passive smoking is when you breathe in the smoke that comes from someone else’s cigarette and can increase your risk of cancer and other health problems, and is particularly dangerous to children.
6. Children and babies who are exposed to second-hand smoke are more likely to develop lung problems such as asthma, and are at risk of developing infections including pneumonia, bronchitis and ear infections. This is because their lungs are not yet fully formed.
Are these good enough reasons to quit???