Speaking yesterday at the Special Congress and Public Lecture of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, Olabisi Onabanjo University, OOU chapter, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State, Femi Falana revealed reasons why he feels President Muhammadu Buhari’s war against corruption may eventually come to nought except certain drastic steps are taken. Have you ever wondered why all the corrupt cases that involve big personalities never really end in conviction, Well, the Human right activist and Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN, did cast some light and INFORMATION NIGERIA shares his thoughts in his piece…
What impedes corruption fight?
– According to Falana, the neo-colonial capitalist system of government practised in the country as well as the less effective administration of criminal justice in Nigeria has always impeded on Buhari’s anti-corruption crusade.
– He stated further that the Bar and Bench have always aided corruption in the country through filing and granting perpetual frivolous injunctions in cases of corruption, thereby scuttling the anticorruption war.
– He noted that the neo-colonialist nature of capitalism being practised in the country had produced a set of wealthy Nigerians who “are bigger than the nation’s laws.
– Falana explained that the criminal justice system has been hijacked by the corrupt and looters of the public treasury and their lawyers. It is only in Nigeria that an accused will ask that his trial be suspended.”
What to do?
– He advised that judges who grant and lawyers who file such injunctions should be investigated, particularly as they often insist on pursuing such cases to the Supreme Court, just to waste time and frustrate witnesses.
– Also, federal government should publish names of lawyers handling cases of corruption involving big men in the country in order for the people to ask questions.
Well said by the legal luminary???