Minister Says 50 Million Nigerians Lack Access To Water

About 50 million Nigerians currently lack access to water but the Muhammadu Buhari-led administration is projecting year 2030 as the period to supply water to all, , Engr. Suleiman Adamu, Water Resources Minister, has said.

“I had my marching order on November 11, 2015, when I was sworn-in. What we are doing is just to fulfil the marching order,” he told journalists after a private meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa yesterday.

“At the end of the day, we want to see water resources sector is doing what it is supposed to do. We have coverage of water supply and sanitation.

“We want to meet the SDG goals before 2030. We need to meet the target for open defecation by 2025 because we have subscribed to that. These are some of the targets.

“For these programmes, we have projected some programmes for four years and others, five years up to the year 2030.

“That is part of issue we are putting in the document we presented to the President. You know we subscribe to the millennium development goals by last year 2015.

“We are supposed to have achieved 75% coverage for water supply and a certain percent for sanitation. Unfortunately, we are not able to meet that.

“We met the water supply by only 69% but we did very poorly in sanitation. So, this 69% means over 50million Nigerians still don’t have access to portable water,” Adam said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here