No fewer than 44 shops were razed down by fire at the popular Farm Centre GSM market in Kano metropolis on Friday.
An Eyewitness account disclosed that the incident occurred around 5:15 pm when most of traders had closed for business.
According to the witness, the fire which destroyed phones and other valuables worth millions of Naira, was said to have been caused by a spark from a converter supplying power to some of the shops, but however, said, no fatality was recorded
Confirming the incident, the Director of the state Fire Service, Alhaji Mustapha Rulwan said: “We received distress call around 5: 20 pm and we immediately mobilised our personnel to the area.
“We were able to put out the fire within 45 minutes”
He added that it was an inverter that was being used by some of the traders that caused the inferno as most of the affected shops were made of wood and zinc.”
This is the second time the market was gutted by fire in the last eight months.