Fire Guts UCH A&E Unit

Must Read

PDP Wins Rerun House Of Representatives Election In Bauchi

The candidate of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Madaki Gololo, has been declared winner of Saturday’s rerun elections...

APC Wins House Of Representatives Seat In Cross River

Alex Egbonna of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has been declared the winner of the House of Representatives election...

Nigerian Minister Appoints Daughter As Special Assistant

The Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Pauline Tallen, has appointed her daughter, Violet Osunde, as a special...

Nigerians React As Leah Sharibu Delivers Baby Boy In Boko Haram Camp

Nigerians have reacted to reports that kidnapped schoolgirl, Leah Sharibu, gave birth to a baby boy for a top...

Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Today: 26th January 2020

  Leah Sharibu Delivers Baby Boy For Top Boko Haram Commandant Leah Sharibu, the Dapchi schoolgirl abducted by Boko Haram insurgents,...

UCH_ibadan
The Accident and Emergency Unit of the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan was yesterday gutted by fire destroying the unit’s
central air conditioning systems and other equipment.

According to eye-witnesses, the fire started at about 4:15pm at the Medical Store Casualty Unit and was caused by a gas explosion from the central air condition.

It took the intervention of the University of Ibadan (UI) fire truck and the Oyo State Fire Services to extinguish the fire at about 5pm.

There were no report of any casualty but the incident caused chaos in the hospital and patients were evacuated to nearby facilities.

The Chief Medical Director of UCH, Prof. Temitope Alonge, while inspecting the damaged facilities, gave a thumbs up for the worker’s intervention to dowse the fire, he however, listed the ceiling, the roofing, mattresses, some equipment and the central air conditions as the major damages.

Prof. Alonge said the hospital has made arrangements to be temporarily attending to emergencies at the general out-patients department.

“I was at the second floor of the theatre complex building when I heard shout of people crying for help and smokes coming out of the ward. I came around immediately to help.

“What I understood that happened was that, earlier in the day, the head of electrical department noticed that the solar panel switch had a fault and it triggered a spark and they attended to it,” he said.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -