In a turn of events, The United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef) have pledged to continue to provide assistance to millions of conflict-affected children in northeast Nigeria, despite Thursday’s attack on convoy that left two aid workers with various forms of injuries.
It would be recalled that, unicef temporarily suspended travel to the troubled region, however, the humanitarian organization plans to scale-up its response in Borno State substantially.
UNICEF Nigeria Representative, Jean Gough, in a statement said that the organization resumes “working at full strength in the Borno state capital Maiduguri”.
“We continue to call for increased efforts to reach people in desperate need across the state. We cannot let this heartless attack divert any of us from reaching the more than two million people who are in dire need of immediate humanitarian assistance.”
UNICEF has also called on donors and humanitarian organizations to scale-up the response to the emerging disaster in Borno State, which is the most affected by the conflict with Boko Haram.
“Before the attack, security conditions had been improving in several areas. Jean Gough said, Our teams were finding people living on the brink of disaster.
“The violence has disrupted farming and markets, destroyed food stocks, and damaged or destroyed health and water facilities. We absolutely have to reach more of these communities,” she added.