Kite String Kills Three In Bizarre Accident In India

India’s independence day celebrations turned awry after a truly bizarre accident left three people dead. Among the casualties were two children who have died after their throats were slit by glass-coated strings used for flying kites.

Kites are commonly flown in India to celebrate festivals but some people coat kite strings with glass locally called ‘manja’, turning what should be a fun activity into something lethal.

The three people who were killed were 3-year old Saanchi Goyal, 4-year old Harry and 22-year old Zafar Khan.

Indian authorities have now banned the sale, production and storage of nylon, plastic or any other glass or metal-coated manja and have attached a steep fine of 100,000 rupees ($1,495; £1,148) or a jail term of up to five years.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here