Two governorship aspirants of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ondo State, Victor Olabimtan and Foluso Adefemi, have denied reports that they have stepped down for another contestant, ahead of the August 26 primary.
In his reaction, Adefemi blamed the report on ambitious politicians, who he said were too desperate for power.
Speaking to reporters in Akure, the state capital after returning from the APC National Secretariat, Abuja, where he obtained his nomination form, the aspirant expressed optimism that he would emerge the party’s flag bearer, no matter the level of unfounded rumours about his purported withdrawal from the race.
Mr. Adefemi, a shipping magnate, added: “I am in the governorship race to bring prosperity back to the state and its citizenry through lofty programmes”.
On his part, Olabimtan said he had been receiving incessant calls and text messages from his supporters, who were anxious to know the authenticity of his quitting the governorship race.
The aspirant, who is former Speaker of the Ondo State House of Assembly, said: “I am being forced to respond to the rumours because of the countless calls and messages from my teaming supporters from far and near to confirm if the story about my withdrawal from the governorship race is true.
“I am using this medium to inform and assure my supporters that I remain in the race and by God’s grace, victory will be ours”.
Olabimtan, who is a former Commissioner in the Federal Civil Service Commission (FCSC) representing Ondo, Ekiti and Edo states, advised those behind the falsehood and propaganda to desist, stressing that they were doing themselves more harm than good.