If one should imagine a barber, it would always be a male one.
‘Barbing’ is generally considered an exclusive job for males. But in Sokoto, a state which one would consider as conservative, due to it being the seat of the Caliphate, a woman braced the odds and became the only female barber.
Here are 7 things you should know about her:
- Her name is Maryann Chison.
- She is 25 years old.
- She hails from Nbiteli local government area of Imo state.
- 98 percent of her customers are reportedly male, including clergies and Alhajis among others.
- She completed her Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education in Sokoto.
- She holds a National Diploma in Public Administration and plans to go for her HND next year.
- She has been ‘barbing’ for almost three years and learned it as an apprentice for about five months.