American billionaire offers scholarships to Chibok schoolgirls

Must Read

Chinese Medical Team Arrives In Nigeria

A 15-man medical delegation from China has arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.Recall that the Minister of...

FG Reduces 2020 Budget Over Coronavirus Pandemic

Due to the global economic realities necessitated by the Coronavirus outbreak,  the Federal Government of Nigeria has sent a...

Coronavirus: Governor Okowa Provides Update On Delta’s Index Case

Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta State has provided a fresh update on the State’s first Coronavirus (COVID-19) case.Recall that...

Coronavirus: Ethiopia Declares State Of Emergency Over Rising Cases

Ethiopia has declared a state of emergency to keep in check the spread of coronavirus in the country.Prime Minister...

Mike Adenuga Redeems N1Bn Pledge To Fight COVID-19

The Mike Adenuga Foundation has redeemed his N1 billion pledge to the Central Bank of Nigeria and private sector...

4

A black American billionaire, Mr. Robert Smith, has volunteered to sponsor the education of 24 girls from Chibok community, including the 21 recently rescued ones.

Malam Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the President, made this known to State House correspondents in Abuja on Tuesday.

He said beneficiaries of the scheme include the first set of escapees from Boko Haram insurgents.

According to him, the girls will be admitted through negotiation at the American University of Nigeria, Yola.

“Smith has offered to pay for the education of the 21 Chibok girls released through negotiations and is offering to take responsibility for all the others who will, hopefully, be eventually set free.

“The Murtala Mohammed Foundation in the country is equally interested,’’ he added.

On the welfare of the recently-released 21 Chibok girls, Garba said “they are being treated as adoptees of the Federal Government, but there is a lot of local and international interest in the future plans of the girls.’’

However, some of the parents of the 21 Chibok girls have complained that they did not have enough room for interactions with their daughters brought home for Christmas by the Department of State Services.

Reacting, Shehu admitted that there were some hitches arising from a lack of understanding of the objective of the trip on the part of some security operatives.

He, however, stated that following the receipt of this complaint, a directive had been given from the headquarters for the access by the parents to be eased.

“If the situation persists, please let us know so that the higher authorities will make a further intercession,” he said.(NAN)

Source: Punch

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -