Fire guts shops on LASU premises

1

Some shops around the Faculty of Science, Lagos State University, Ojo, were gutted by fire on Monday.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the fire was caused by an electrical surge.

It was gathered that the fire began around 2am, and destroyed machines and generators and documents.

An employee of the university, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told our correspondent that the damage was much.

He said, “When I saw the fire from the Faculty of Science, I called the attention of other people. On getting there, we learnt that the supervisor in-charge of that unit had already called for help.

“We didn’t get help until much later when the Ojo Fire Service Station came to put out the fire.”

An apprentice in one of the shops, Kingsley Daniel, said, “The security men told us that there was a spark when power was restored.

“We had generators in the shops with fuel in them. We lost all our equipment to the fire. Our photocopy machines were also burnt by the fire.”

The Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Rasaq Fadipe, confirmed the incident.

He said, “The fire involved a bungalow, containing about four shops on LASU premises. Our men from the Ojo Fire Service Station responded swiftly and put out the fire.”

Source: Punch

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *