Although the former Chelsea front man has broken the hearts of many Nigerians a couple of times, Drogba will continue to be in the heart of football lovers all over the world.
Here are 5 facts you didn’t know about Didier Drogba
1. Drogba’s full name is Tébily Didier Yves Drogba. He is married to a Malian woman named Diakité Lalla. The union has produced three beautiful children.
2. The two-time African footballer of the year never attended a football academy in his youth unlike many footballers. He only began training daily once he was a fully grown adult and he signed his first professional contract at the age of 21.
3. Drogba owns the record of the all-time top scorer for the Elephants of Cote d’Ivoire having scored 65 goals in 104 caps. In addition, the player has scored more goals for Chelsea than any other foreign player (161 goals in 356 games). It is amazing to note that Drogba was the first African to score 100 Premier League goals.
4. The arrival of the lanky striker at Stamford Bridge in 2004 was then a club record of £24 million, which instantly earned him the most expensive Ivorian player in history. He also helped Chelsea win its first league title in 50 years as well as their first Champions League title.
5. The exceptional player has bagged an impressive ten goals in the African Nations Cup in total. At club level, he has won ten trophies for Chelsea and Galatasaray (4 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 2 Community Shields, 1 Champions League and 1 Turkish Super Cup)