1. Ibrahim Babangida was born in 1941, Minna, Niger State.
2. The former military head of state was married to Maryam (née King) Babangida who died from complications of ovarian cancer on December 27, 2009.
4. He annulled the presidential elections held on June 12, 1993 which indicated that businessman Moshood Abiola, the Social Democratic Party (SDP) candidate, was the apparent winner, a decision which proved to be controversial and unpopular.
6. As a military head of state, he was alleged to have perpetuated one of the worst human right abuses.
7. He was nicknamed ”Maradona” by the Nigerian press after he ”dribbled” Nigerians severally promising to handover to a democratic government.
8. His 100-room mansion in Minna was built by Julius Berger on top a hill.
10. In 2007, he tried to contest for the presidency under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).