Whenever a song makes it to the top of the chart and becomes a hit it usually gets a lot of covers.
Many artistes, especially upcoming ones, jump on the tune and try to sell themselves with the already known song.
The covers come in different flavours too. While some are just passable, some come out to be down right crap and a mockery of the original while some get so good that they threaten to overshadow the original song.
For Davido’s latest hit, IF, there have been a lot of covers.
Here are seven of the covers we find very compelling.
1. Chioma Nwibe Adaeze who prefers to be called Chioma is a sixth year medical student at Kharkov medical university, Ukraine. She is a native of Enugu state, Nigeria. She killed the cover, substituting some of Davido’s original lyrics with more understandable ones.
2. Shanga and Bisi of am bis pm add a lot of soul into the song. And it would just pass as a romantic date night song.
3. An unknown little girl nails it with the infant version. Davido himself loves this.
4. Mani Keny delivers her own version playfully with voice gymnastics that come close to Omawunmi’s style. It would make you want to listen a second time.
5. Demola’s Violin cover totally jazzifies the song. It makes you wonder what it would look if Davido should work with an orchestra band.
6. The ragga inspired version by an unknown lady is sweet too.
7. Divastellz’s French cover somehow reminds one of Celine Dion.