Indian government rejects Xenophobia attack claims by African envoy

Must Read

COVID-19: Shutdown All State Borders, Delta Govt Tells FG

 Delta State Government has urged the Federal Government to close all inter-State borders in order to properly contain the...

Pastor Jailed For Claiming There’s No Coronavirus In Africa

A pastor has been charged and jailed by authorities in Uganda for allegedly denying the existence of the new...

Your ID Card Is Your Pass During Lockdown – Lai Mohammed Tells Journalists

Lai Mohammed, minister of information, says journalists must use their valid identity cards to access their workplace during the...

COVID-19: Soyinka Describes Buhari’s Lockdown Of States As ‘Political Virus’

Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has lambasted President Muhammadu Buhari's order to lock down states in the nation by...

Coronavirus: My Position On Economy Misundersood – Tinubu

Bola Ahmed Tinubu National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, says he hasn't called for...

The India government has rejected charges made by a group of African envoys who termed recent attacks on African students in the country as “racial and xenophobic”.

The envoys also slammed New Delhi for inaction on the issue.

African missions in India on Monday condemned the “racial, xenophobic” attacks on their students near New Delhi and called for an international inquiry.

Mobs in Delhi’s suburbs of Noida had last week thrashed several Nigerians after a local teenager died of a suspected drug overdose.

Residents blamed some African students for plying the youth with drugs.

A statement issued by Eritrean ambassador and dean of the African group of mission heads, Alem Woldemariam, had said that India had taken “no known, sufficient and visible deterring measures” to prevent the violence.

The envoys called for a probe by UN’s Human Rights Council into the attack.

However, Indian Foreign Ministry officials rejected the claim that African nations had spoken with one voice as a very small number of envoys were consulted for the statement issued by Woldemariam.

“It is unfortunate that a criminal act triggered following the untimely death of a young Indian student under suspicious circumstances has been termed as xenophobic and racial,” the ministry said.

It said that the local authorities had expeditiously arrested suspects, and the Indian government had also condemned and described the attack as unacceptable.

Authorities had also taken measures for the safety and security of African students and were holding meetings with local residents and students.

In New York, UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said the UN was not involved in the case, but it wanted the perpetrators of the attack to be brought to justice.

(dpa/NAN)

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -