Popular 27-year-old Sosoliso plane crash survivor, Kechi Okwuchi, has become a force to be reckoned with after her participation in the America’s Got Talent singing competition. Despite being involved in the crash at a young age, Okwuchi has remained courageous, confident by not letting her predicament get in the way of her happiness. seven things you do not know about the plane crash survivor, Kechi Okwuchi:
1. Kechi Okwuchi was born on October 29, 1989 and is the first born of a family of four.
2. She became one of the two survivors of the Sosoliso Airline Flight 1145 crash that claimed the lives of other 107 passengers on December 10, 2015. The crash occurred 20 minutes to landing on her way back to Port Harcourt for Christmas holiday. She was with other 61 students from her school, Loyola Jesuit College
3. Despite suffering third degree of burns, Okwuchi has successfully undergone 100 surgeries and received her first major treatment at Milpark Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa.
4. Two years after the plane crash, Okwuchi and her family members moved to Houston to continue her medical treatment at Shriners Hospitals for Children in Galveston, Texas, United States (US).
5. It was discovered that while Kechi was in coma in the hospital, her mother sang her a popular hymn everyday which she could hear in her subconscious and when she woke up, she knew the song already.
6. Five years after the crash, she graduated with a First Class Degree at the University of Saint Thomas in Texas, USA in 2015. After her graduation, Okwuchi was invited into six honour societies including the International Economics Honour society.
7. After graduation, she worked at a non-profit organization in Houston. She had no time for internships as she was always in and out of surgery. It could be recalled that on Wednesday, September 13, after several other amazing performances, she won the final Dunkin Save of the season to make it to the finals.