A family of five, including an unborn baby, have reportedly died after consuming a meal made with the Ewedu vegetable, also known as Jute in the northern parts of Nigeria.
“The family had prepared and eaten the jute leaves in the evening of Wednesday, September 6, 2017 and went to bed without any problem. But the remaining leaves were spread on a container and preserved for consumption the following day. Trouble started on Thursday, September 7, shortly after they had eaten the vegetable soup. All the family members started complaining of stomach aches the following day, which was Friday, and neighbours rushed them to a nearby hospital. The jute leaves was suspected to have been laced with a poisonous substance by unknown persons. The first family member to die was their six-year-old daughter, Patience, who gave up the same Friday, while Dorothy, Godwin, and their father, Inspector Dauda, died on Saturday, September 9.”
Source – Sunday Sun