The Nigerian police have replied to the petition by Evans legal representative over claims of extortion.
Olukoya Ogungbeje, petitioned the Police Service Commission on Friday. The petition captioned reads in part: “For the avoidance of doubt, it is our secured brief that in the course of investigating our client while being detained, the following under-listed items were forcefully and corruptly extorted from our client:
1. The sum of N50 million cash.
2. Another sum of N5 million sent by our client’s wife as pressured by the above policemen.
3. 25 Mack Trucks forcefully taken but not listed as exhibits in the ongoing criminal trial of our client.
4. Brigade wristwatch worth $117,000
5. Pendant cross worth $70,000.
6. Necklace worth $25,000
7. Virtu Phone worth $30,000.
8. Virtu Signature Phone $17,000.
9. $10,000 cash extorted by ASP Phillip Rieninwa.
10. 5 Pieces of Saphono Rucci Diamond Rings worth $100,000
11. Lexus 470 Jeep.
12. Grand Cherokee Jeep.
13. L 400 Mitsubishi Bus.
14. Toyota Highlander (Gold Colour).
15. 85 Inches Samsung Television set worth N6.5million amongst others.
The lawyers added that, “our client also confided in us that one (Amaka Offor) his girlfriend was sexually molested and abused,” the petition read.
We are using this medium as our own way of galvanizing institutional sanity, cleansing and reform in the Nigeria Police Force as an institution.
As we speak, the brother in law and other relations of our client are still being detained and tortured without being arraigned before a Court of law,” the petition added.
Here’s the police press release addressing the issue…
FHQ ABUJA- OCTOBER 15TH, 2017
RE: EVANS’ LAWYER ACCUSES POLICE OF EXTORTING OVER N50 MILLION, OTHER VALUABLES FROM CLIENT
The attention of the Nigeria Police Force has been drawn to publications in the media on 14th October, 2017 that “Evans’ lawyer accuses police of extorting over N50 million, other valuables” from his client and another report that “Police Sexually molesting Evan’s Girlfriend, Amaka Offor” credited to one Olukoya Ogungbeje.
2. The two publications were found out to be absolute falsehood, misleading, unfounded and deliberate attempt to cast aspersion on the thorough and discrete investigation carried out by the Nigeria Police Force in all the offences committed by Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike (popularly known as Evans) who has pleaded guilty in court to multiple kidnappings, murder, armed robbery and other capital offences.
4. It is pertinent to disabuse the minds of the public who must have read the story that no police personnel within the team or anywhere else involved in the investigation of all the cases linked to Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike (popularly known as Evans) engage in any sexually molestation of the alleged Evan’s girlfriend Amaka Offor as claimed. This allegation is entirely untrue and incorrect.
5. The Nigeria Police Force sees these publications as a deliberate distraction and ill motives by Olukoya Ogungbeje to pervert the end of justice. He is advised to face his client’s case in court and not misleading the public.
6. The Force hereby enjoined members of the public to disregard and discountenance the unfounded publications.
CSP JIMOH O. MOSHOOD
Force Public Relations Officer
Source – Gistreel