A young man has reportedly died in his girlfriend’s arms after something happened when they went to an Indian restaurant.
Dylan Hill, an 18-year-old boy with a severe nut allergy died in his girlfriend’s arms after eating a curry, an inquest heard.
According to Metro UK, the teenager collapsed after dining at an Indian restaurant with girlfriend Demi Cash. He did not have his life-saving EpiPen with him on the night of May 17, 2015, an inquest heard.
Demi told Sheffield Coroner’s Court that Dylan had a severe peanut allergy and would only carry the device ’50/50′ and sometimes forgot to take it out with him.
On the night of Dylan’s death, the pair had been on a date at Shaam’s restaurant in Barnsley where Dylan had ordered a korma and Demi had ordered a jalfrezi.
Demi described how they had checked the menu ‘to make sure there were no mention of peanuts’ in the ingredients list. After ‘only one or two spoonfuls’ of his meal, Dylan described how it ‘it was different to what he had before’.
Demi told an inquest: ‘At that point, the waiter offered to swap the meal. The waiter said that there were almonds in it but not peanuts. ‘It took around 15 or 20 minutes for the next meal [described as a chicken curry] to come out.
‘He had a bit of the new meal but started to say he was not hungry now. He said that he felt a bit ill but looked okay at that point.’
Demi described how Dylan, an apprentice builder from Barnsley, South Yorks., told her he ‘always felt like that’ if he had eaten something he ‘wasn’t sure about’.
The pair left the restaurant and headed home. Demi said: ‘When we got in he sat on the sofa. We sat for around ten minutes before he said he needed to get some air outside.’
Demi said she remembered feeling like Dylan had been ‘gone for a long time’ before he returned in a panic to the door. She added: ‘He came to the door and said, “can you ring my mum to get my EpiPen?”.
As soon as I rang his mum she told me to ring an ambulance.’ In tears from the witness box, Demi described how Dylan staggered outside before grabbing on to a gate in the garden.
Demi was on the phone to the ambulance operator who told Dylan to ‘breathe in a certain way’ and described how the operator said, ‘to me it sounds like he is alright’.
Demi said: ‘As soon as she said that he started turning blue. I told him “come inside and lay down, come inside and lay down” but he just kept saying “I can’t, I can’t.” ‘Seconds before the ambulance got there he dropped and I held him on the floor.’
Ambulance staff pumped Dylan’s stomach and rushed him to the hospital but he tragically died just hours later. Assistant coroner Tanyka Rawden, questioning
Demi, said: ‘Did he usually carry his EpiPen?’
Demi replied: ‘Not every time. He probably carried it 50/50. It was a case of him forgetting more than anything else.’
In December 2014, it became a legal requirement for any business serving non pre-packed food to inform customers of allergenic ingredients contained in their dishes.
Information can be displayed on a menu, blackboard or given verbally, but if given verbally businesses must have a clear sign or indication on the menu that information can be obtained by asking a member of staff.
An inquest into Dylan’s death was opened and adjourned in 2015 but no criminal case was brought by the CPS after his death.
The two-day inquest continues.