Six year old boy, engulfed in fire in Akwa Ibom

A six-year-old boy, identified as Emmanuel, was engulfed in  a fire of one of the buildings on Akwa Street I  Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

It was gathered that the mother of the child, who was seriously injured while trying to save her son from the flames, was rushed to a hospital by sympathisers.

The fire, according to an eyewitness, who identified himself as John, started at about 1.30am on Thursday.

John told our correspondent that the fire affected part of the building, adding that neighbours who could have come to the rescue of both mother and child were asleep when the incident occurred.

He attributed the cause of the fire to adulterated kerosene, which reportedly exploded in a stove.

It was also learnt that some persons, who later came out to put out the fire, were overwhelmed by the flames.

“A child died; the mother of the child, who tried to rescue him, sustained severe injuries,” John said.

The Information Officer of the National Emergency Management Agency in the state, Mr. Victor Akpakpan, confirmed the incident.

Source: ( Punch Newspaper   )

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here