Terrorists strike New York times Square, kill 4 persons

There was confusion at the New York’s Time Square on Monday after a suicide bomb went off at a nearby subway station in what is suspected to be a terrorist attack.

The bomb, a body-worn improvised device, was detonated in the subway’s passageway, police said.

No fewer than four people and the suspected attacker were injured in the attack, according to the New York Police Department.

The White House Press Secretary, Sarah Sanders, said President Donald Trump had been briefed about the incident.

After visiting the scene of the explosion, New York City Mayor, Bill de Blasio, said, “This was an attempted terrorist attack. The terrorists will not win; we will keep being the New Yorkers.”

Police have confirmed that a 27-year-old man had been detained following the blast being treated as an “attempted terrorist attack.”

The detained man, identified as Akayed Ullah from Bangladesh, suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the blast and at least another three people are believed to have suffered minor injuries.

The busy terminal near Times Square has been evacuated and the area is closed off to traffic while counter-terror police officers and fire vehicles have descended on the area.

Source: ( AFP )

Tags from the story
New York Times

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *