Kabul attack: 18 persons dead, 100 others injured

The Intercontinental Hotel siege in Kabul came to an end on Sunday after all the gunmen were killed, reports say.

At least 18 people were killed when unidentified assailants stormed the hotel, shooting at guests, staff and setting the building on fire.

A fierce gunfight had followed between gunmen and security forces.

Interior Ministry spokesperson, Najib Danish, said the hotel came under attack at around 9pm local time.

He also added that Afghan Special Forces arrived at the hotel in response to the attack.

At least 18 people, including 14 foreigners, were killed in a bloody Taliban-claimed assault on a luxury hotel in Kabul, an interior ministry spokesman said Sunday, hours after the overnight attack ended.

“Fourteen foreigners were killed and four Afghans,” interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish told Afghanistan’s Tolo News, without specifying the nationalities involved.

Ukrainian officials have already said at least one Ukrainian is among the dead.

The Intercontinental Hotel was previously attacked by Taliban fighters in 2011. Located on a hilltop, the hotel is heavily protected like most public buildings in Kabul.

The long series of attacks have underlined the city’s precarious situation and the ability of militants to mount high profile operations aimed at undermining confidence in the Western-backed government.

Source : (AFP)

Tags from the story
Kabul Killings

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *