United States, EU And ECOWAS React To The Abduction Of Schoolgirls By Boko Haram In Yobe

Must Read

Again Emir Sanusi Hammers On Problems In Northern Nigeria

Muhammad Sanusi, emir of Kano, has come hard on fathers who do not take responsibility for their children and...

Senate Moves To Create Agency For Repentant Boko Haram Members

The Senate has initiated plans to establish a rehabilitation, deradicalisation and integration agency that would cater for repentant Boko...

Buhari Cares More For Boko Haram Than Law Abiding Citizens: Omokri

Reno Omokri, a staunch critic of the APC led administration has expressed that President Muhammadu Buhari loves Boko Haram...

Buhari Will Not Resign: Lai Mohammed

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, says Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari will not resign his position over...

Why We Have Many Empty Seats During Plenary At National Assembly – Akin Alabi

Ever wondered why there are so many empty seats during the plenary session at the National Assembly?, well the...
Information Nigeriahttp://www.informationnigeria.org
Information Nigeria is Nigeria's No.1 Information Portal.

The United States of America has strongly condemned the abduction of scores of schoolgirls of Government Girls Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe, by suspected Boko Haram terrorists.

The Spokesperson of the US Department of State, Ms Heather Nauert, at a press briefing on Thursday, said the US was yet to get all the details about the abduction.

“We are still trying to get all the details about that but we wanted to mention that we condemn in the strongest possible terms the terror attack on a school earlier this week in north-eastern Nigeria.

“The choice of targets including schools, markets and places of worship reflect the brutality of terror organisations. The victims in the attacks were girls who were simply seeking an education,” Nauert said.

She said the US extended its condolences to the students and to their families affected by the terror attacks.

The US also expressed its concerns that some of the students are still not accounted for. “We continue to support Nigeria’s efforts to counter the terror group.

“We also support Nigeria’s efforts to enable more than two million displaced in the Lake Chad region to return home safely.

“United States continues to provide humanitarian assistance to those who were affected by the violence,” she said.

Meanwhile, a delegation of the European Union (EU) to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), on Thursday, condemned the abduction of some schoolgirls in Yobe State.

The EU stated this in a statement by its press Officer, Mr. Modestus Chukwulaka, on Thursday, in Abuja.

Some schoolgirls were reportedly abducted on Wednesday by Boko Haram insurgents at Government Girls Secondary School, Dapchi, Yobe state.

“Targeting children and abducting young girls as they seek to attend school is an attack on our common humanity.’’

The organisation sent its solidarity with the affected families, and the people of Nigeria.

“The girls deserve freedom and a chance to shape their own future. The EU remains committed to supporting the Government of Nigeria in its fight against terrorism and all forms of criminality.

“We stand resolute to continue our humanitarian and development work, including the rights and protection of girls.”

Sources: NAN/Vanguard

Stay updated with the latest Nigerian news from Information Nigeria

- Advertisement -
Ad ==> Discover how a young Nigerian graduate now makes a consistent 40k per week doing a legitimate online business. You too can start yours now, click here!!!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -