INEC Speaks On When It Will Take Decision On Dino Melaye’s Recall Process

 

Senator Dino Melaye

The recall process of the Senator representing Kogi West senatorial district, Dino Melaye will be part of the discussions on Thursday, when the management of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) meet to deliberate, The Nation has reported.

INEC management meets every Thursday to deliberate and take decisions on issues that bothers on the activities of the commission, and the commission may likely release a revised timetable and schedule of activities in the next few days following the removal of hurdles.

Recall that the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja had on Friday, dismissed the appeal by the senator to halt his recall, thereby removing any encumbrance to the process. INEC had earlier issued time lag for the process following a petition calling for his recall by before the legal battle which started from the High court.

While resolving all issues for determination against Melaye, the Appeal Court upheld the lower court ruling that the senator’s suit was “hasty and premature and presumptuous”.

While speaking on the next line of action of the Commission, the Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of the Commission, Rotimi Oyekanmi said that the Appeal Court judgment has removed any encumbrances.

He noted that the commission will be taking decision on the matter soon as to when to continue the recall process, adding that the Appeal Court’s judgment has therefore given the commission the go ahead with the recall process.

He said: “As it is now, the Appeal Court has now removed any restriction. That means literally, INEC can continue with that process. The process now will have to start from where it stopped and that is the decision for the commission to make in the coming days.

 

“I don’t know how soon the commission will take decision but I know it is going to be pretty soon. You know every week; the commission meets every Thursday to take a decision. And of course once a decision is taking there will be an official announcement.

“As it is, the Appeal Court has removed any encumbrances against our moves. That is what the situation is, that we can go ahead with our process.”

Stay updated with the latest Nigerian news from Information Nigeria

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *