One Year-Old Twin’s Body Part Cut Off In Lagos Hospital

Must Read

FACTBOOK: Coronavirus In Nigeria — Everything You Need To Know

By Gbenga OdunsiAs Nigeria further shuts down in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, and more cases are being recorded...

Nigeria’s Response To Coronavirus Is Impressive – UN Chief

The United Nations has praised Nigeria for it's handling of the Coronavirus pandemic.Nigeria, Africa's most populated country with an...

Coronavirus: FG Set To Evacuate Nigerians Stranded Abroad

The ministry of foreign affairs has directed all its missions abroad to get the list of Nigerians abroad who...

‘Africa Is Not A Testing Ground’ – Drogba, Eto’o Slam French Doctors Over Racist Comments

Ivorian football legend, Didier Drogba and Cameroonian football legend, Samuel Eto'o have joined other Africans in calling out two...

Anthony Joshua’s World Title Defence Against Pulev Postponed

Nigerian British heavyweight Anthony Joshua’s defence of his IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO world titles against Bulgaria's Kubrat Pulev...

The Lagos State Police Command have arrested the matron of a Lagos hospital, Mrs. Victoria Ukwu, after a one year-old twin’s body part was sliced off.

After the one year-old twin’s body part (right cheek) was sliced of by a yet-to-be identified person which led to her death, the matron was said to have claimed that it was a rodent that inflicted the cut. It was further gathered that the two nurses at the hospital, Navico Clinic and Maternity, who were on duty on the day of the incident, were also arrested.

Punch reported that the twins were admitted at the Lagos hospital on Tuesday, August 28, after they started vomiting. And while Esther was recuperating, Favour’s condition was reportedly deteriorating. She gave up the ghost three days later. However the sliced off body part was noticed by the deceased’s mother, Amaka, after she turned up at the hospital with her sister-in-law to remove the corpse.

The distraught mom narrated how the matron asked a nurse to administer sleeping pills on Favour on Wednesday evening, adding that her daughter slept all through that night till Friday evening. According to her, the matron reassured her that Favour would be fine after she complained of the long sleep.

“I left to get the N6,000 balance that Friday evening. When I came back, she was still sleeping and taking another drip. In the night, she started breathing heavily. I rushed to call a nurse to attend to her. She took her to the matron’s office.

“The matron came to meet me outside and enjoined me to be calm. After a while, she came out again and told me that my daughter was dead. She asked me to make arrangements to remove her corpse immediately. I told her that my husband was not around and that I could not handle the situation alone.

“I called my sister-in-law to come to the hospital. I was somewhere at the hospital throughout that night. Around 5am, the doctor came to me again to ask about how I wanted to remove the corpse. Around 7am, my sister-in-law came and went to the ward where Favour was. She saw bloodstains all over the bed sheet that was used to cover the baby. She came back to ask me what was wrong.”

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Chike Oti, who confirmed the incident at the Lagos hospital, stated that the suspects who had a connection to the sliced off one year-old twin’s body part, have been arrested and transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba, for further investigation.

Oti said, “On September 1, around 12pm, Mrs. Amaka Orogbu of No 4, Salawu Street, Santana Bus Stop, Shibiri, reported that her daughter, Favour Orogbu, was sick and hospitalised at Navico Clinic and Maternity along Shibiri Road, Ajangbadi for treatment.

“On August 31, at 11.30pm, the matron Mrs. Victoria Ukwu, 52, confirmed the death of the baby to her. The baby was wrapped and kept ready for removal. The following morning, the mother discovered that the corpse was bleeding and the right side of the baby’s face was sliced off by an unknown person right inside the hospital and she suspected foul play by the hospital’s staff.

“The said matron was arrested and she confirmed the allegations, but expressed shock at what happened. The nurses on duty have also been arrested and the case is under investigation to ascertain whether or not the clinic is licensed by relevant regulatory agencies to operate as a maternity home.”

- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -