‘The police has remained quiet 7 weeks after our son was killed’ – Family of Doctor Urueye cry out

'The police has remained quiet 7 weeks after our son was killed' - Family of Doctor Urueye cry out

A new report following the death of Stephen Urueye, the resident doctor at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba who was murdered by hoodlums, has emerged.

According to family members of the deceased, the police has remained silent on the case.

The family while speaking to a Newman said the police has refused to give them an update seven weeks after the 25-year-old doctor was cruelly killed.

Recall news broke a few weeks ago that the Late Urueye, who was set to finish his housemanship at LUTH in December 2019, was attacked around 9pm on April 4th while seeing a female friend off when he was attacked.

Urueye, was reportedly stabbed him in the thigh and died at the hospital in the early hours of Friday. The police not long after his death released a statement saying two suspects, Gbadebo Jimoh and Malik Adeboye, were arrested in connection with the murder.

Mrs Amina Wahab, an elder sister of the deceased, while speaking in an interview with City Round on Thursday, said that was the last they heard about the case.

“It is almost two months now, no information from the police; no justice. At least, we deserve to know what is happening. The bandits stabbed him near his private parts which aroused suspicions. A robber will probably stab somebody in the chest or hand to injure him.

The most annoying part of it is that my mother called a policeman, one Officer Nurudeen, at the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department over the case on Wednesday and he was insulting her. Maybe they have concluded that we are weak and cannot do anything.”

Wahab stated further that attempts by the family to get first-hand information on the attack from the female friend Urueye was seeing off that evening had proved abortive. She said,

“One of Stephen’s (Urueye) friends gave us the phone number of the girl whom he was seeing when the attack happened. Her real name, according to Stephen’s friends, is Deborah and not the name the police gave out. Whenever we call her and introduce ourselves as Stephen’s relations, she would just end the call. All attempts to trace the girl have been abortive. Why is she running away if she has nothing to hide?

“She is not his girlfriend and we don’t know her. We all know his girlfriend. She (Deborah) is the only eyewitness to the incident yet she has not deemed it fit to contact the family to give us information about what actually happened. Somebody lost his life because he took the risk to see you off in a dangerous area; courtesy demands that you show up to tell the family exactly what happened.”

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Bala Elkana, speaking on the case said;“We have been engaging the hospital authorities in our investigation and the chief security officer of the hospital has been coming for updates.”

Wahab, however, said the family had not received any information from LUTH as regards police investigation.