Presidency Cautions Against Inciting Protest Against Service Chiefs

Must Read

Coronavirus: Buhari Approves Recruitment Of 774,000 Nigerians

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the engagement of 774, 000 Nigerians on a Special Public Works programme in the...

COVID-19: Chinese Doctors Will Be Quarantined On Arrival – Gbajabiamila

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila has revealed their resolve on how the Chinese doctors and nurses...

Buhari Orders Distribution Of 150 Trucks Of Rice To Nigerians

Zainab Ahmed, Minister of Finance, Budget and Planning says President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered distribution of 150 trucks of...

PDP Slams FG Over Fake N500bn Social Intervention Fund

The Peoples Democratic Party has described the All Progressive Congress-led government N500 billion social intervention fund to cushion the...

385 Americans Evacuated In Nigeria Over COVID-19

The United States of America has evacuated 385 nationals from Nigeria over the Coronavirus pandemic.The United States becomes the...

 

Garba Shehu
Garba Shehu

The presidency says protest being incited against Nigerian service chiefs are sponsored by some persons who are benefitting from the Boko Haram insurgency in the country.

This was made known in a statement by Garba Shehu, presidential spokesman on Saturday.

According to him, “a section of the political class” had hired thousands to protest against the head of the service chiefs on Monday.

He went on to finger the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) of orchestrating the protests to embarrass the Buhari-led administration.

According to him, the opposition wishes to “give the impression that Nigerians are in support of them as they take to the streets”.

“The Presidency wishes to caution a section of the political class against misleading the public and inciting protests against the heads of military institutions,” the statement read.

“This has become necessary in view of received reports that about two thousand men and women have been hired to demonstrate against Nigeria’s service chiefs on Monday.

“This imminent gathering is the latest in a series of demonstrations orchestrated by the opposition to embarrass the government of President Muhammadu Buhari.

“As part of this overall scheme, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, with its belligerent politics, has been marching from one embassy to the other in protest against the Buhari administration and the nation’s highest court of justice, the Supreme Court. They are keen to give the impression that Nigerians are in support of them as they take to the streets, and they will go to any length to promote this false narrative.”

Read Also: ‘Don’t Return To Borno Again’, Boko Haram Leader, Shekau Warns Buhari

“The recent incident in Maiduguri, Borno State, where an overwhelmingly cheering crowd gathered to welcome President Buhari, while a handful were recorded booing him, is a part this elaborate scheme,” he said.

“It is misleading, as some analysts have tried to do, to read this as a verdict against President Buhari, who emerged winner with 94 per cent of the votes cast in the Presidential election in the state in February last year.

“This was clearly a hired few, but the news was promoted by the opposition who had, of course, positioned themselves to record the booing – all just to embarrass the President.

“A group of politicians and beneficiaries of the Boko Haram insurgency is right now paying for people to join their planned protest against our country’s service chiefs, and they will no doubt seek the media’s collaboration on this as usual.”

- Advertisement -

1 COMMENT

  1. It’s unfortunate that the PMB’s spokespersons have been involved in one media blunder or another. From Femi Adesina, the shameless attack dog to baba Shehu Sani’s gafe: It’s been from one distrastrous media outing to another in a bid to defend even the seemingly indefensible policies, actions and inactions of PMB led administration.

    For goodness sake, if the Presidency knows the sponsors, supporters of BH terrorists/insurgents and all sorts of insecurity the country is embroiled in, why can’t they fish them out and get them dealt with once and for all so the country can expeirence some peace? The statement from the presidency, to say the least, is insensitive, disgusting and very shameful. It shows the leadership of the country is out of touch with the sad realities in the country. The government is consistently on a failing track. (I am scared to echo the voices of majority of Nigerians that the APC led administrayion has failed). The PMB led government needs to listen to the yearnings of the masses, accept that the country is overwhelmed and seek help as fast as possible instead of living in constant denial and push back against every voice of reason. We can’t be doing the same thing over and over and expect to have a different result. That will be insanity!

    May God save Nigerians and Nigeria.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -