Widow Allegedly Plucks Out 73-Year-Old Man’s Eyes In Enugu

The Enugu state police command has arrested a 38-year-old widow named Blessing Nwatu for allegedly plucking out the eye of a 73-year-old man named Chief Oforbuike Ani who died from the injury he sustained from the incident.

According to an eye witness account, the suspect was said to have hit the man with a brick while he was sitting in his compound on February 21, 2020.

Thew suspect was said to have plucked out the victim’s eyes after he fell down and left him in a pool of blood.

Read Also: Shine Your Eyes, Don’t Let Men Take Your For An Idiot – Toke Makinwa

His son was then called by neighbours who got wind of the situation before the victim went on to give up the ghost at the hospital.

One of the sons of the deceased while speaking with newsmen said he was only told on the phone that his father had fallen ill before he rushed down to meet him in a pool of blood.

His words:

“On February 21, 2020, I received a call from my father’s best friend that I should come home immediately because my father was seriously ill. I thought maybe it was his usual illness. So, I rushed home.

“While on my way to the village, I started receiving calls that I should come home because a woman used a knife to pluck out my father’s eyes.

“When I got home, I saw my father lying down in a pool of blood in the compound with his two eyes plucked out. I asked a woman I saw in the neighbourhood where the perpetrator was, but she advised that I should take my father to hospital first. I took her advice and rushed my father to the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku-Ozalla.

“I met a doctor at the Emergency Unit and he asked me what happened to my father; I could not tell him much, because I didn’t have the details and he told me to get a police report before the hospital would start treatment.”

He further explained that he begged the doctor to commence treatment to save his father’s life, while he went to the police station to report the incident.

He added, “He accepted to commence treatment and I went to the Agbani Police Division, where I reported the incident. Immediately the DCO saw the pictures of the incident, he followed me to the hospital to see my father. It was at the hospital that the DCO called his men to go to my community to arrest the perpetrator.

“When I left the hospital with the DCO, I got a call from the doctor asking me where my father’s eyes were and if I picked them. I told him no and he said that I should go and bring the eyes. I came back to the village but could not find them. I went back to tell the doctor that I couldn’t find them.

“Since February 21, 2020, the doctors started battling to save my father’s life, but on February 28, he passed away and because he had instructed that his body should not be kept in the mortuary, we had to bury him today (Tuesday) according to his last wish.”

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Daniel Ndukwe, who confirmed the incident, told our correspondent that the perpetrator had been arrested and was charged on Friday and remanded in a correctional centre.