14 Year Old Stowaway Claimed He Is Tired of Nigeria – Airport Official

Investigation done on a stowaway boy arrested at the Murtala Muhammed Airport (MMA), Lagos, has hinted that the frustration of living in Nigeria inspired the move.

Information Nigeria learnt that the 14-year-old boy, identified as Rasheed Mufutau, had hopped into the wheel bay of a packed aircraft belonging to the United Nigeria Airline (UNA), hoping to land overseas.

The stowaway sensation is transnational. Discoveries established that from 1947 until September 2012, there were 96 known stowaway attempts worldwide in wheel bays of 85 separate flights, which resulted in 73 deaths with only 23 survivors.

Oluwatosin Onalaja, Head of Corporate Communications, Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Limited (BASL), operator of the MMA2 terminal, disclosed that the 14-year-old, found unconscious on Sunday morning, had been revived and in the hands of the airport authority, where he was being held for further investigation.

According to Onalaja, the boy told investigators that he achieved access into the airside through an opening at Ile-Zik, FAAN’s perimeter fence along the Lagos-Abeokuta expressway.

“The invader said he was tired of the country and wanted to travel out,” Onalaja said. He explained that around 6:10 a.m. on Sunday, United Nigeria Airline informed BASL of a stowaway found unconscious in one of their aircraft.

“The boy was brought out of the aircraft and taken to the MMA2 clinic for first aid medical attention. He was later transferred for further treatment at the FAAN clinic where he regained consciousness around 10:20a.m,” he said.

ALSO READ: Nigerian Stowaways, Who Thought They’re Going To Spain, Safely Land In Ghana (Photo)

Further interrogation verified that Mufutau hails from Kwara State but lives in Badagry and is an orphan.

Onalaja, while briefing newsmen, said, “His intention was to travel, as he was tired of the country. He passed through the General Aviation Terminal, Air Force hanger and walked down to MMA2 where he hid himself at the apron.

“He saw staff on duty at GAT and Air Force hangar but dodged them and passed through the bush. He became unconscious as a result of the drugs he took and a lack of ventilation.”

The boy has been discharged from the hospital and taken to the FAAN Crime Office at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) along with United Nigeria Security Guard for further questioning.