Flood In Anambra Kills One, Displaces Over 650,000 Others

At least one person has been confirmed dead, and over 650,000 others displaced after a flood hit Enugu-Otu in Aguleri, Anambra State.

Mr Thickman Tanimu, the Acting Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) in Anambra State, confirmed the incident to journalists on Saturday in Awka.

He said the victim, identified as Ginikanwa Izuoba, died when his house collapsed due to the impact of the flood.

He further said that at least 651,053 persons had been displaced by flood in six local government areas of the state.

Tanimu noted that the agency had assessed the incident in different parts of the state.

According to him, Ogbaru had the highest number of victims, with 286,000 people affected in the incident.

He said Anambra West and East Local Government Areas followed with 237,000 and 103,000 victims, respectively.

ALSO READ: Anambra Govt Bans Students From Wearing Mini-Skirt Uniforms

“Awka North LGA had 10,345 victims, while Ayamelum had 9,240 flood cases with 5,468 displaced persons.

“The assessment team observed that the flood has submerged houses, farmlands, schools, health centres, Police Stations and Churches and other critical infrastructure.

“We did the assessment tour with a boat because the access roads to the communities have been submerged by flood water,” the NEMA coordinator stated.

Tanimu applauded the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) in Anambra for taking measures to alleviate the impact of the disaster.