Defending champion, Petra Kvitova, hopes “to be fine” for the 2015 Wimbledon after announcing she will not be part of the Aegon International at Eastbourne.
This means the Czech, seeded top in Eastbourne, will not have a competitive grass-court practice before the start of her title defense at the All England Lawn Tennis Court.
Kvitova, 25, said in a statement on Monday that she was confined to bed but hoped to be fit for the championship.
“I have a sore throat,” said Kvitova. “I didn’t need antibiotics so that’s a good sign. But I have to be in bed and drink hot tea, just lying and resting. I didn’t feel well when I came here last Thursday.
“I hope to be fine for Wimbledon. I’ll stay here in Eastbourne and then slowly move to London.”
The world No. 2, who had also been expected to feature in the doubles with Caroline Wozniacki, has not played since her round-of-16 defeat at the French Open. She won her second Wimbledon title last year after accounting for Canadian Eugenie Bouchard.
“I wanted to play but it doesn’t really make sense to play and not be ready for Wimbledon,” Kvitova said.
The tournament starts on 29 June and ends 12 July.