eHealth Africa is focused on improving healthcare by creating effective ways to implement reliable health information management systems. We have developed eHealth and mHealth solutions that can be rapidly deployed to manage patient information, streamline clinical procedures, and provide data and analysis on health program outcomes. Accurate health data will provide NGO’s, hospitals, and donor agencies with access to timely health system indicators needed to evaluate their health interventions and respond to critical public health needs. We bring about positive change by harnessing the potential of technology, valuing the power and knowledge of local people, and maintaining a sharp focus on the health worker.
Job Title: GIS Manager
Consultancy Period: available now – January 31, 2014 (with possible extension)
Location: Kano, Nigeria with travel as needed
Salary: $45,000 – $72,000/year. Depends on experience. Includes attractive benefit package.
Definition of Work
Serve as the central point of contact for all GIS related activities and support all other programs at eHealth Africa. The GIS staff will provide GIS applications technical support as well as support training of junior GIS technicians.
Examples of Duties
- Manages all aspects of eHealth Africa’s GIS program
- Provide direct GIS applications technical support
- Support training of junior GIS technicians
- Support the development of GIS applications (some programming, python, and scripting knowledge required)
- Leads GIS related data development
- Produces maps, displays, and figures as needed for project related activities
- Leads GIS related agency/donor coordination
- Provides GIS analysis, queries, searches, and data manipulation
- Provides expertise to staff, engineers, planners, and developers regarding GIS information
- Supervises, directs and evaluates the GIS Specialists and other employees as assigned, handling employee concerns and problems, directing work, counselling, disciplining employees and completing performance evaluations.
- Responsible for the accuracy of GIS data sets
- Provides training and GIS software support
- Oversees the transfer of field data into GIS coverage or datasets
- Approves final drawings, graphs and charts
- Compiles detailed records and reports.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Advanced knowledge and experience with ESRI software, specifically ArcGIS suite (ArcInfo, ArcView, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox) and extensions
- Advanced knowledge and experience with ERSI ArcGIS Enterprise Server
- Advanced Database and information management knowledge
- Programming and Scripting with Python
- Experience and skills with other GIS tools (ie Quantum GIS, OpenGeoSuite, Tilemill, etc)
- Ability to perform GIS data conversion/editing, GIS map production, spatial database management, spatial analysis/reporting tasks
- Strong understanding of GIS concepts and spatial data
- Strong catographic/data management skills needed to perform job duties
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel, including ability to create formulas and functions, fluidly manage and analyze data, and ensure integrity of data. Must understand data types, how to import and export data from DBFs, personal geodatabases or text files and the limitations on the data in each of these formats in Excel, Access and ArcGIS.
- Strong understanding of Access tables and queries with the ability to write simple SQL statements. Ability to create and modify forms and reports.
- Strong leadership, mentoring, and team-building skills are crucial.
- Experience with project management, including planning, statements of work, budgets, and scheduling.
- Ability to network within the office and educate co-workers about capabilities and applications of GIS.
- Proficient in the understanding and use of GIS for mapping and tracking
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, contractors, other professionals, and the general public.
Education and Experience
- BA/BS in Geography, Cartography, Planning, Natural Resources, Engineering, or GIS related field.
- Ms in related field is a plus
- Minimum of five (5) years of applied GIS experience
- Professional technical experience with designing, creating, editing, and maintaining geodatabases and metadata for numerous projects.
- Professional technical experience with SQL Server/Access and Postgres/Postgis DBMS’s at a strong working level.
- Good presentation and speaking skills.