The Confederation of African Football (Caf) has nominated Hani Abo Rida of Egypt and Constant Omari from the Democratic Republic of Congo as its mouthpiece on the Fifa Reforms Taskforce.
However, the continental body has refused to back Liberia’s FA president Musa Bility in his bid to succeed Sepp Blatter as the next head of Fifa.
Both Abo Rida and Omari – member of the Fifa Executive Committee (ExCo) – have been chosen to represent the African Confederation on an 11-man taskforce set up by world football’s governing body last month to propose changes for the rebuilding process of the embattled organisation in the wake of the worst scandal in its history.
There has been criticism by campaign groups who deem it necessary for members of the taskforce to have emerged from outside of Fifa, as opposed to the decision to have them nominated by their respective continental confederations.
Abo Rida and Omani are the first members to be officially named, with the taskforce having until 24 September to preset its proposals at the next ordinary FIFA Executive Committee meeting.
Caf shows no love for Bility
Bility requested the audience of the Caf ExCo in Cairo on Thursday to present his manifesto, but was told he will not be getting endorsement from his home confederation.
Caf said in a statement that Bility “had the opportunity to explain the reasons that motivated his decision to run for the Fifa presidency.
“After a fraternal exchange, full of sincerity and cordiality, the Caf executive committee decided unanimously not to give Musa Bility the support he requested… wishing him good luck in the continuation of his mission,” the statement added.
Candidates need proposals from at least five Fifa member associations to be passed for the elections – pending no issue arises during subsequent screening by the Ad – hoc electoral committee.
The identity of Blatter’s successor will be known on 26 February at an extraordinary elective congress in Zurich, Switzerland. Intending candidates have until 26 October to declare for the top job in world football.
The 79-year-old Swiss was re-elected for a fifth term at Fifa’s 29 May congress but announced he will stand down at an extraordinary congress four days later. He also said he will not stand as a candidate again.
Uefa president Michel Platini and former Fifa vice-president and South Korean business mogul Chung Moong-joon have both declared intentions to succeed the Swiss, who has been at the helm of world football since 1998.
Former Brazilian international Zico and ex-France winger David Ginola have also said they will contest for Fifa presidency.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein, who was beaten by Blatter in May’s congress, is likely to confirm his candidacy.
South African businessman and former political prisoner Tokyo Sexwale is reportedly nursing whether to announce his bid.
Caf said it will only decide which candidate it would propose once all candidates had registered, after a meeting in Cairo at the end of October.
Caf’s 54 affiliate federations make them a powerful voice at the February congress, with each of Fifa’s 209 member nations carrying a vote.
Bility has not been spared of confrontations with Caf and its head Issa Hayatou in recent times.
He was a sole dissident to a proposal to alter Caf rules that permitted long-serving Hayatou to win another term as president in 2013.
He was subsequently banned by Caf for six months for using confidential documents without permission.