Insecurity: Jonathan Summons Borno, Yobe Govs

jonathan_goodluck_nuPresident Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday invited the governors of Borno and Yobe, Kashim Shettima and Ibrahim Geidam, respectively to Abuja to discuss security challenges in their states.

The two states had become operational bases of the insurgents with reported cases of killing and bombing of innocent citizens and public institutions and installations, including military and police barracks.

Speaking to newsmen after their closed door meeting with the president, Gov. Shettima said they were invited by President Jonathan to discuss the issue of insecurity.

“Well, we are basically here to cross-pollinate our ideas with Mr President on how to move the nation forward.

“That is in a nutshell, what brought us here to cross-fertilise our ideas with Mr President.”

According to him, peace is gradually returning to the state in spite of reported cases of attacks in some parts.

On the insinuation that the Federal Government might declare a state of emergency in Borno and some states in the northern part of the country over increasing insecurity, Shettima said the people and government of Borno would be distracted over threat of emergency rule in the state.

Also speaking to newsmen, Gov. Geidam of Yobe confirmed that they briefed President Jonathan on security situation in their states.

“Mr President invited Borno State governor and myself and we briefed him on the current security situation in our states, and that all.’’

Borno and Yobe had been witnessing social insecurity occasioned insurgents’ attacks and other criminal groups and resulting in the death of many innocent persons and destruction of property worth millions of naira.

The Presidential Committee on Dialogue and Resolution of Security Challenges in the North, chaired by the Minister of Special Duties, Alhaji Kabiru Tanimu, last week, visited Kuje Prison in Abuja to interact and begin dialogue with suspected members of the Boko Haram group being detained at the prison.

The leader of the group on Monday released a video clip in the social media confirming the kidnap of some women and children by the group.

He denounced, for the second time, Federal Government’s proposed amnesty programme for members of his group.

NAN

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here